Train Lima - Huancayo - Lima
6 Days | Escorted Small Group Expedition | Maximum 12 Guests
You travel on Peru’s least known, but most spectacular train from Lima to Huancayo. During the 12-hours journey, the train travels 346 km (214 mi), crosses 58 bridges and traverses 69 tunnels on its way to Huancayo. The train has to do six zigzags to reach the second highest train station in the world at an altitude of 4781 m.a.s.l. (15’686 ft).
The train journey is exceptionally scenic and breath-taking. During two days in Huancayo, we have time to discover the region of the Mantaro Valley among the site we visit are the first Peruvian Capital of Jauja, the Paca Lagoon, the monastery of Ocopa and of course the capital city of Huancayo. Because the “Tren Macho” from Huancayo to Huancavelica is very unreliable, we don’t include it in the tour program. Should the train run, we would change the day of the Montaro Valley tour correspondingly so that you can travel to Huancavelica at your own expense.
- Travel from just above sea level to Galera at 4781m (15’686 ft) above sea level on your way to Huancayo.
- The train will do 6 Zigzags, traverse 69 tunnels and cross 58 bridges, some of the bridges are architectural marvels.
- Observe the climatic changes from sea level to high andean altitudes and breathtaking views from the train’s observation car.
- Explore during 1 Day the city of Huancayo and the Mantaro Valley, a region seldom visited on regular tours.
Dates & Rates
- October 4 - 9, 2019 $1'191
- November 21 - 26, 2019 $1'191
All excursions in the company of an English speaking expedition leader and local guides; all accommodations in excellent upper middle-class hotels; all entrance fees; arrival and departure transfers in Lima.
Itinerary Train Journey Lima - Huancayo
Day 1: Arrival in Lima
Day 2: Train Lima - Huancayo
Day 3: Mantaro Valley Tour
Day 4: Day at Leisure in Huancayo
Day 5: Train Huancayo - Lima
Train journey back to Lima. This time, we travel during daylight the part where it was night on Day 2. The downward journey is as spectacular as the upward trip. The train reaches the Desamparados railway station in Lima in the evening. We then transfer to our hotel San Agustin Exclusive where we stay overnight.
Day 6: Departure from Lima
Transfer to the airport for your international flight.