Journey from Buenos Aires to Lima
21 Days | Escorted Small Group Expedition | Maximum 18 Guests
- Travel on a suburban train from El Tigre to the monumental Retiro Railway Station in Buenos Aires and then travel on South America’s oldest Metro Train back into the city.
- Enjoy a train ride on the famous “Tren a las Nubes” between San Antonio de los Cobres and the Polvorilla Viaduct at over 4200 m above sea level.
- Experience a train journey in southern Bolivia traveling aboard the Wara Wara Express from Villazon to Uyuni.
- We spend time at the famous Railway cemetery in the outskirts of Uyuni where you see oxidized steam locomotives from a bygone era in a spectacular setting.
- Travel by Train during 11 hours from Puno to Cusco, crossing the fascinating Peruvian High Andes.
- Enjoy the amazing train ride from the Cusco San Pedro Station to Aguas Calientes, doing the famous Zigzag’s inside the city of Cusco.
- You have dinner on board the famous Hiram Bingham Train from Machu Picchu to Porroy.
Dates & Rates
- September 06- 26, 2020 $6'998.-- per person
Air transportation within Argentina, Bolivia, and Peru; all excursions in the company of an English speaking expedition leader and local guides; all accommodations in excellent upper middle-class hotels; some meals; all entrance fees; arrival and departure transfers in Buenos Aires and Lima; one piece of luggage of up to 15kg.
Airfare from your home city to Buenos Aires and from Lima to your home city; excess baggage charges; airport arrival and departure taxes; passport and/or visa fees; travel insurance; items of a personal nature such as laundry, soft and alcoholic beverages and other incidentals; and email/Internet/fax/telephone charges.
Itinerary Journey from Buenos Aires to Lima
Considering the character of this trip, there may be ongoing improvements to this itinerary. Unless otherwise specified, daily excursion options are included in the cost of the trip. We do our maximum to comply to the scheduled tour program, but due to the travel style and regions we visit, we may deviate the journey slightly to take full advantage of the train schedules, encounters with the destination and its people, and culture.
Day 1: Arrival in Buenos Aires - Argentina
Day 2: City Tour in Buenos Aires
Day 3: Cruise from Buenos Aires to the Tigre Delta
You board the boat at Puerto Madero and head to Tigre. The cruise goes along the Costanera Navigation Canal. Then, we cruise through the canals of the delta, one of the largest in the world. We have lunch in a restaurant situated on the shores of one of the canals. Finally, we head to the Tigre train station, where we will take a train back to the city of Buenos Aires.
Day 4: Buenos Aires - Tucuman - Cafayate
Day 5: Wineries in the Cafayate Valley
We do a walk inside a viñard under the guidance of a local wine specialist. Discover the famous Malbec, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Tannat grapes. We have a wine degustation in one of the best-known wineries of the valley, just outside of Cafayate. Lunch we have in a typical house in the middle of a viñard, within walking distance of our hotel. The rest of the afternoon you have free time. Overnight we stay at our Hotel in Cafayate.
Day 6: Cafayate - Salta
Day 7: Train to the Clouds
Day 8: Quebrada de Humahuaca
Day 9: Border Crossing to Bolivia and journey to Uyuni
Day 10: Uyuni Salt Flat
Day 11: Uyuni - La Paz
Day 12: City Tour in La Paz
Day 13: Day at Leisure in La Paz
Day 14: Lake Titicaca & Sun Island
Day 15: Copacabana - Puno
In the morning you have free time in Copacabana. You can participate in a tour where we visit the Sanctuary of the Virgin of Copacabana. We have lunch at the hotel. In the afternoon, we cross the nearby border to Peru and after a 2 hours drive, we reach the city of Puno. The rest of the day you have free time. We stay overnight in the outskirts of Puno.